And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Sun Oct 16 14:55:38 UTC 2005

On 16-Oct-2005, at 03:37, David Conrad wrote:

>> Shifting the NAT to end system removed the objection to NAT, tho
>> it's not entirely clear why.  Shifting NAT to the end system also
>> happened to simplify the entire solution as well.
>
> Except for the part about having to rewrite all existing
> implementations to take full advantage of the technology.

Thought experiment: how many different software vendors need to
change their shipping IPv6 code in order for some new feature like
shim6 to be 80% deployed in the server and client communities of hosts?

I'm thinking it's probably less than 5, but I'd be interested to hear
opinions to the contrary.

Joe