And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Sun Oct 16 08:28:57 UTC 2005

Tony Li wrote:

> It's just a mess.  I think that we all can agree that a real locator/
> identifier split is the correct architectural direction, but that's
> simply not politically tractable.  If the real message that the
> provider community is trying to send is that they want this, and not
> IPv6 as it stands today, then that's the message that should be sent,
> without reference to shim6.
>
> Tony

How is a split between locator / identifier any different logicaly from
the existing ipv4 source routing?

I thought that got dead ended?

Or is a table lookup going to be needed?

Wont all those tables need to be in the exact (or close to) same place
as the current routing tables?

Appreciate any enlightenment.

Joe