IPv6 news

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Sat Oct 15 19:24:34 UTC 2005

> Perhaps that middle ground is a mix of these 2 things?

Perhaps.  But what we currently seem to believe is that current
routing table growth is dominated by traffic engineering and
multihoming.  If future routing is to scale better than today, then
we need some strong forces that push for conservation.

> I'm not sure I agree that the end state is 100% multihoming. I can
> certainly agree that more multihoming is coming. Many more people are
> pushing for multihoming today than in previous years, apparently telco
> instability (financial not technical) is/has driven this :) (among
> other
> things I'm sure)

I wasn't suggesting that the end state is 100% multihoming, but I do
think that it will grow to well over the 10% factor that we used in
years past.  I agree that there is much more push for multihoming
thanks to the connectivity issues that we've seen, both due to
financially driven and backhoe driven causes.  The increased reliance
of society on the Internet in general also helps us to go there and
the increase in wireless access makes multihoming of small sites in a
metro virtually trivial.

Tony