Deploying 6to4 outbound routes at the border (was Re: IPv6 news)

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Sat Oct 15 13:13:22 UTC 2005

On 2005-10-15, Nicholas Suan <nsuan at nonexiste.net> wrote:

>>I'm told there are 6to4 relays seeing in excess of 100mbps. Not bursts.
>>Can you imagine trying to handle 100mbps "internet mix" traffic process
>>switched? :-Z Not even talking about the peaks.
> They may be handling 100mbps but they also have a global scope. But all
> the traffic statistics for 6to4 relays I've seen push several orders of
> magnitude *less* traffic then that. Anyone have any real numbers?

The 6to4 relay I run at my employer (AS29259) does around 200kbps on
average and maybe short bursts of up to 5mbps. The ones doing more than
100mbps are usually the relays used outbound by large content delivery
networks (the relay used by newszilla6.xs4all.nl (free binary
newsserver) comes to my mind).

This is totally manageable with Cisco routers regardless the constant
bickering about the suboptimal Cisco (IPv6) performance which would lead
you to the assumption that you can't transit a single byte of IPv6
traffic through such a box. They do work quite well these days.

Bernhard