Time for a real Internet highway (?)

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Sat Oct 15 10:14:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:07:32 -1000
"Michael Painter" <tvhawaii at shaka.com> wrote:

> I'd be very interested in what folks here think of this:
>
> http://news.com.com/Time+for+a+real+Internet+highway/2010-1028_3-5894664.html?tag=carsl

All I can see are two actual arguments for government intervention in
the Internet.  First is that they already grabbed all sorts of other
important utilities so why not grab this one.  Patently absurd even if
they had demonstrated any sort of special competence in the areas they
already meddle with.  Prove your case based on the requirements of this
industry, not a sheep follows sheep rule.

Second seems to be that the area that he grew up in that survived
hundreds of years without electricity got electicity a few years before
the market could bring it in.  Big deal.  What does that prove?
Perhaps he still doesn't have Internet access when he goes home to
visit the folks and thinks that it should be a right for everyone.
Utter hogwash!

I won't even go into the issue of which government should take it
over.  I assume that he thinks that the US government is the only
entity that should run the Internet.

Sorry, content free article.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves