IPv6 news

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Sat Oct 15 03:31:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, John Payne wrote:

> >> shim6 is:
> >> 1) not baked
> >> 2) not helpful for transit as's
> >> 3) not a reality
> >>

> > Not baked is absolutely correct, and not a reality follows readily
> > from that, as viewed by an operator.
> >
> > I'm interested in (2), though. Shim6 is not intended to be a
> > solution for transit ASes. If you're an ISP, then you can get PI
> > address space and multi-home in the normal way with BGP.
>
> *IF* you're a big enough ISP.  There are (a few) ISPs with few enough
> customers that they'd have to "exaggerate" plans to get the same
> level of multihoming that they do with their legacy IPv4 allocations...

even if you are big enough you may have a particularly large sink
somewhere inside your /32 that you want to pull through particular links
but not others... that's not possible in the current scenario.

With shim6 it's even worse, the large sink gets to do the engineering for
you :) HURRAY! Cause I'm sure they understand the internals of your
network, right? :(