UltraDNS - are there any brain cells left?

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Fri Oct 14 20:50:16 UTC 2005

I understand that since secondary.com operations were picked up by
UltraDNS, there's been a signifigant brain drain within UDNS
operations, and from what I've heard, there isn't a lot of smarts
left there.

This anecdotal theory is borne out by empirical evidence- they seem
unable to come up with the TSIG key they use when slaving my zones.

Secondary.com used a TSIG key, and UltraDNS continued using the same
key (for my account, at least). Earlier this year, I lost the key
when my nameserver had a nasty double-disk failure. Since then, I've
been allowing axfr based on IP address, which is less preferable for
many reasons.

I've recently had a chance to try setting up TSIG based transfer
authentication again, but UltraDNS now claims no knowledge of such a
key.

Are there any other secondary.com/UltraDNS customers out there who
have TSIG transfers configured? Perhaps you could contact UltraDNS
support and let them know which key they are using.

thanks, and sorry for the rant.
Matt Ghali

               The only thing necessary for the triumph
               of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke