shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Fri Oct 14 19:19:27 UTC 2005

On 14-Oct-2005, at 14:48, David Conrad wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
>
>> The big gap in the multi-homing story for v6 is for end sites,
>> since those are specifically excluded by all the RIRs' policies on
>> PI addressing right now. Shim6 is intended to be a solution for
>> end sites.
>
> Since shim6 requires changes in protocol stacks on nodes, my
> impression has been that it isn't a _site_ multihoming solution,
> but rather a _node_ multihoming solution.  Is my impression incorrect?

There is no shortage of rough corners to file down, and I am behind
on my shim6 mail, but the general idea is to let end sites multi-home
in the "bag-o-PA-prefixes" style and let the nodes within that site
use their multiple globally-unique addresses (one per upstream, say)
to allow sessions to survive rehoming events.

>> Are you suggesting that something else is required for ISPs above
>> and beyond announcing PI space with BGP, or that shim6 (once baked
>> and real) would present a threat to ISPs?
>
> If my impression is correct, then my feeling is that something else
> is required.  I am somewhat skeptical that shim6 will be
> implemented in any near term timeframe and it will take a very long
> time for existing v6 stacks to be upgraded to support shim6.  What
> I suspect will be required is real _site_ multihoming.  Something
> that will take existing v6 customer sites and allow them to be
> multi-homed without modification to each and every v6 stack within
> the site.

For end sites, that's a wildly-held opinion.

For ISPs, it's not required, since ISPs can already multi-home in the
manner you describe, using PI addresses and BGP.

Joe