shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Fri Oct 14 18:48:28 UTC 2005

Joe (or anyone else),

On Oct 14, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
> The big gap in the multi-homing story for v6 is for end sites,
> since those are specifically excluded by all the RIRs' policies on
> PI addressing right now. Shim6 is intended to be a solution for end
> sites.

Since shim6 requires changes in protocol stacks on nodes, my
impression has been that it isn't a _site_ multihoming solution, but
rather a _node_ multihoming solution.  Is my impression incorrect?

> Are you suggesting that something else is required for ISPs above
> and beyond announcing PI space with BGP, or that shim6 (once baked
> and real) would present a threat to ISPs?

If my impression is correct, then my feeling is that something else
is required.  I am somewhat skeptical that shim6 will be implemented
in any near term timeframe and it will take a very long time for
existing v6 stacks to be upgraded to support shim6.  What I suspect
will be required is real _site_ multihoming.  Something that will
take existing v6 customer sites and allow them to be multi-homed
without modification to each and every v6 stack within the site.

Rgds,
-drc