IPv6 news

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Oct 14 16:37:57 UTC 2005

Thus spake "Mike Leber" <mleber at he.net>
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Michael Greb wrote:
>> I can't speak for the others but he.net doesn't seem to interested in
>> customers making use of their "dual stack" network.  We looked into
>> getting IPv6 space from them to go with our IPv4 assignments for a
>> couple of racks of servers in one of their datacenters.  They wanted to
>> double the monthly fee for data and drop a second v6 only port to our
>> racks, not my idea of a "dual stack network".  Needless to say, we do
>> not have native IPv6, a few of our customers that desired it are using
>> HE's free tunnel broker service though.
>
> (Appologies to Michael for using this comment as an opportunity to
> delurk.  I've been biting my tongue for months through all kinds of
> IPv6 threads.)
>
> Hurricane's approach to IPv6 is very simple.
>
> We have the free IPv6 tunnel service and we have commercial IPv6
> service.
>
> If you want commercial IPv6 service, we need to charge a fee for it in
> order to get the necessary funds that will eventually be required to
> replace all of the older infrastructure that doesn't do line rate IPv6.
> Hurricane's price for IPv6 is the same as IPv4 at any specific commit
> level.

It is understandable that you charge extra for a v6-enabled port due to your
need to fund upgraded hardware.  However, that doesn't explain why you don't
deliver v4 and v6 both over the same higher-priced port.  If your backbone
isn't native, then a single edge box could connect to both the v4 backbone
and the v6 backbone.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov