Choosing new transit: software help?

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Fri Oct 14 16:46:08 UTC 2005

fre, 14,.10.2005 kl. 10.03 -0500, skrev John Dupuy:
> We are looking at getting an additional transit connection.
>
> In the past, we have used fixedorbit.com and the like and "guesstimated"
> our best transit choices. (Other factors came into play as well, of course,
> such as price...)
>
> Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for determine our next best transit?
> Essentially, I am looking for techniques of:
>
> 1. Gathering our current traffic patterns and subtotalling
> source/destination IP by ASN.
> 2. Gathering our BGP views into a useful form for analysis.
> 3. Using #1 and #2 to analyze which new AS would make the most sense to
> connect to for transit. The goal would be for the new transit to reduce the
> number of AS we must transit given our customer's actual usage.

There's a number of tools available (search for 'netflow' on
freshmeat.net) to collect flow data and produce aggregated reports pr
source/dest AS.

Your problem is with #2 and #3 above. I don't know any open-source
solution that will combine the data from #1 with the AS-PATH from #2.
What you want to look for in #3 is the AS'es of your potential transit
providers in the AS-PATHs in the final report.

> I could probably hack something together on my own, but before I go
> reinventing the wheel, I'm interested in getting feedback from the list.

I've done exactly this kind of reporting in the past as an ISP engineer
to use as input to peering discussions, but don't have any of the old
code available. There's a relatively new tool called Stager
(http://software.uninett.no/stager/index.php?page=stager) designed for
various forms of reporting on network traffic data, including netflow.
It is supposed to be relatively easy to customise and may provide the
hooks you need to add the "AS to AS-PATH" relation.

//Per