IPv6 news

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Oct 14 11:06:30 UTC 2005

Brandon Ross <bross at internap.com> writes:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
>
>> I'm sure that there will be a frantic scramble, but I don't
>> expect it to last long enough for an IPv4 black market to
>> form.
>
> There's already a black market in IPv4.  I've seen plenty of offers to
> "buy" address space through various underhanded schemes.  Most take the
> form of creating a shell company that the space is registered to and then
> the buyer "acquiring" that company.

The most impressive such deal I know about took place already in 1995
when IBM bought a small norwegian company called "Norsk
informasjonsteknologi" (or NIT).  Most people didn't see anything
interesting there.  But I guess IBM noticed they "owned" 32/8.

Probably don't qualify for the black market though. It was more of a
grey deal.

Bjørn