Bad IPv6 connectivity or why not to announce more specifics (Was: IPv6 news)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Oct 14 10:49:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:50 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:44:23 +0200, Jeroen Massar said:
>
> > Kick Abilene to not be so silly and get some real transits. Then again
> > Abiline is educational and those networks seem to have very nice (read:
> > overcomplex) routing policies...
>
> Somehow, I don't think anything that Abilene does is going to fix Jordi's
> routing.  From where *you* are, do *you* have a path to 2001:0440:1880:1000::0020
> that *doesn't go through Japan?  If so, what does your path look like?

As mentioned in my first response, see:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/traceroute/
which is a Distributed Traceroute, allowing one to traceroute over IPv4
and IPv6 from most of the SixXS POPs, which are present in most parts of
Europe and also one in the US @ OCCAID.

or check: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/
for a nice BGP looking glass (grh.sixxs.net for telnet ;)

To solve Jordi's problem I've brought him, offlist, into contact with an
ISP that is able to give him native IPv6 in Spain with a native route to
most places, so that problem should not exist anymore in a few weeks.

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:11 -0400, Bill Owens wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:44:23PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > Kick Abilene to not be so silly and get some real transits. Then again
> > Abiline is educational and those networks seem to have very nice (read:
> > overcomplex) routing policies...
>
> I don't speak for Abilene or Internet2, but here's what I know.
> Abilene doesn't buy transit from anyone.

Yes, I am aware of this; as I mentioned, they are educational and have
some overcomplex routing policies. This seem to be the case for the
majority of NREN's unfortunately which causes bad connectivity towards
the 'commercial' prefixes, one day this will include a Google service,
who btw are also already using their own IPv6 prefix, and then it will
most likely hit these places that people need good connectivity to those
sites too...

Good part is that they do have a staff that is aware and understands
this issue, it is just good to note whenever doing a traceroute or
noticing bad connectivity that NREN's seem to have those issues...

Having them in GRH also allows one to see where it most likely goes
wrong.

Greets,
 Jeroen