[Opinion] Re: IPv6 news

James R. Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Oct 13 16:54:30 UTC 2005

It is short-sighted to insist that currently separate IP networks
will never interoperate directly as part of the "BIG I" Internet.

Given the flux in corporate structures, functions, and ownership,
anyone with at least an ounce of forward vision will design,
construct and operate every network using globally unique IP
addressing. This makes the boundary condition changes less traumatic,
reduces renumbering expenses, and frees the network operators
(NANOG-on-topic!) to manage their ever changing network in an
efficient and cost-effective manner.

IPv6 is an obvious source of sufficient IP addresses to meet needs
for the next decade or two. If there are certain problems with IPv6
allocations now, please offer constructive suggestions regarding
corrections and improvements.  NANOG may be a good forum for eventual
input to ARIN, et alia.

Regards.

         Cutler

>From: Crist Clark <crist.clark at globalstar.com>
>Subject: Re: IPv6 news
>To: Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
><snip/>
>Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
><snip/>
>>IP addresses were established as part of the development
>>of a networking protocol called the Internet Protocol,
>>or IP for short. This protocol was designed to allow
>>many independent networks to interconnect or internetwork
>>and exchange traffic. In order for such internetworks
>>to work they need to be allocated unique IP addresses.
>>The prerequisite for receiving globally unique IP
>>addresses is that you have to be using IP technology
>>and have a need to internetwork with other networks.
>>There are several such IP internetworks that are
>>entirely separate from the public (big I) Internet.
>>That's where the other addresses are used and their
>>usage is growing at about the same rate as Internet
>>usage is growing.
>
>While I do not necessarily disagree with this point of view (as I work
>for a company who uses allocated space in such a manner), others may
>argue that addresses that are assigned through the Internet Assigned
>Numbers Authority (that's Internet with the "I") are meant for Internet,
>with an "I," use. As it says at the top of their web page, "Dedicated
>to preserving the central coordinating functions of the global Internet
>for the public good." Note, "global Internet."
>
>ObOnSubject: Of course, getting PI space for non-global Internet use
>is one of the big problems with current IPv6 allocation policy that
>make it difficult to start building private IPv6 networks now.
>--
>Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
>Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387

-
James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com