IPv6 news

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Oct 13 16:29:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:20:30 +0200, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ said:

> I don't think people upgrade anymore to 98, but at least to XP (if they do
> now, at the end of next year will be doing to Vista).
>
> I don't think either all the corporations take so long as 2 years to
> upgrade.

In fact, some surveys have found that the uptake of XP in corporations has been
much lower than Microsoft might like - one this summer found the number to
be only '56% upgraded already'.  A *lot* of sites looked at the XP 'new feature'
list, the pricetag of migrating from W2K to XP, and decided it wasn't worth it.

Some analysts have gone so far as to say that the continual dropping of features
from Vista in order to keep the ship date from slipping even more is the single
biggest threat to Microsoft - because if companies didn't think XP was worth the
migration, a migration to Vista is going to need some major bang for the buck
(conversely, others are saying that if there's *too* many incompatible changes in
Vista, it will be a major opportunity for lower-cost migrations to Linux).