IPv6 news

Sean Figgins sean at labrats.us
Thu Oct 13 03:56:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> And in 6-12 months the new Vista will start replacing XP,

Will start replacing XP on new consumer-grade computers.  Corporations
will take another 2-4 years to switch, and other people might have
upgraded to windows 98 from 3.11 by then.

I think that we need to buy as much time as possible for IP, as V6 is
going to be extremely painful for the consumer, and thus the consumer is
not going to want to adopt it.

Our jobs, as network designers and operators will be make it seemless to
the consumer without forcing them to shell out a thousand or more dollars
on new Windows software, and the hardware that will be required to run it
on.  If that is devising some sort of NAT for the large percentage of
customers that don't care, then that may be the direction we need to take.

I have thought for a long time that which v6 is a worthy academic persuit,
customers are hardly interested in it when what they have now works.

 -Sean