IPv6 news

Sean Figgins sean at labrats.us
Wed Oct 12 21:56:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> addresses. But of those "few" many are those doing P2P sharing
> especially with BitTorent and this application requires open port
> on the user end, so in fact P2P and BT may prove to be the cornerstone
> to getting wider use of IPv6 after we ran out of v4 space...

Both BT and other P2P protocols are perfectly happy behind NAT.  There are
a few that seem to prefer that they have a non-natted address, or use some
port forwarding.

Those applications will just need to be fixed if it becomes a common
practive of handing out NAT addresses to customers.

I think the bigger problem would be that of a larger company running out
of RFC 1918 space, for various reasons.

 -Sean