How to multihome endusers [was: Cogent/Level 3 depeering]

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sun Oct 9 19:36:11 UTC 2005

Look into multi6 - which basically proposes new network layer above ip
but below tcp and that new layer would provide common end-point for
system with multiple ip addresses.

A closer possibility right now is dns "multi-homing" based on incoming
request ip, i.e. dns server would answer with one provider ip address if
they are coming from cogent routed ip space and for another from l3 routed
ip space. This requires integration of bgp routing data with dns which
has only been done by private implementations (I'm sure you all know who
I mean) so far, but it would be a worthy project to do a open-source
implementation of this technique if fragmentation of the internet
continues to happen or becomes permanent.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net