Cogent move without renumbering (was: Cogent/Level 3 depeering)

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sun Oct 9 04:22:56 UTC 2005

> > I think Cogent's offer of providing free transit to all single homed
> > Level3 customers is particularly clever and being underpublicized.
>
> For educational purposes, could someone elaborate on how this would work?
>
> If you're a Level3 customer with Level3 PA space (assumed, since you're
> already assumed to be single-homed, and therefore very unlikely to need
> PI or BGP) and move to a Cogent circuit with Cogent PA space, then you'd
> be able to once again reach Cogent's view of the 'net, but then lose
> Level3's view of the 'net.
>
> If, on the other hand, you move to a Cogent circuit, but keep your Level3
> PA space, wouldn't that at least require Cogent to announce all of these
> "recircuited" customers' Level3 blocks?  This could stop working if
> Level3 filters those announcements, again resulting in non-reachability
> for existing Level3 downstreams?
>
> Or, on the other hand, is Cogent's offer not exclusive of maintaining the
> customer's existing Level3 circuit as well, in which case the customer
> will probably incur more pain with juggling two circuits while not
> speaking BGP in the first place?
>
> Or, is there another hand?  Thanks.

news flash!!! "if you use a provider's address space, you're locked in!"

if you don't qualify for your own address space, see

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=vixie+multihoming+without+bgp&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

if you decide to use a provider's address space, then you can either pay
the higher cost of locked-in transit pricing, or you can pay the higher cost
of having to renumber whenever you want to break the lock.

in a pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later scenario, you have to pick "now" vs. "later".
(it's a pity that the internet, for all its power, cannot alter that rule.)
--
Paul Vixie