DNS question

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Sun Oct 9 00:45:32 UTC 2005

Doug,

On 8-Oct-2005, at 16:01, Randy Bush wrote:

>> I have a hint record pointing to a name server that has not been
>> used to
>> several years.
>
> what's a "hint record?"  ns glue?

If yes, then it depends on what the nameserver in question is called
(more accurately, what the parent zone is).

If your nameserver is called "ns1.automagic.org", then the change you
need to effect is in the "org" zone. If the nameserver is called
"must.perform.quirkafleeg.net", then the change you require must
happen in the "net" zone.

In both of those examples, the way you submit requests to a registry
is through one of several registrars. The rule is that the registrar
you need to talk to is the one who sponsors your nameserver's
superordinate domain.

So, for "ns1.automagic.org" you talk to the Afilias registrar who
sponsors "automagic.org", and for "must.perform.quirkafleeg.net" you
talk to the VGRS registrar who sponsors "quirkafleeg.net".

Rules in other registries with registrars may vary.

I can give you specific help if you send me a note off-list.

Joe