Cogent move without renumbering

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Oct 8 20:43:54 UTC 2005

On Oct 8, 2005, at 1:58 PM, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>
>>  Since you and Randy clearly
>> have different definitions of "ISPs that matter", can we not
>> spend  100 posts on what would be two people arguing different
>> sides of  different points?
>> The sad part is you knew (or at least should have known, if you
>> honestly believe your opinion os worth wasting over 10,000
>> people's  time) what Randy meant.
>>
> Since I started the thread subject, and the phraseology was given by
> Bill Woodcock, I'm pretty sure _I_ know what _I_ was talking about.

I was not questioning that you knew what you meant.

> And suspected that Randy talking about something else or being
> otherwise
> pedantic (as has been his forte from time to time), so explicitly
> asked:
>
> # Perhaps you are quibbling ...

So you admit you knew that Randy and you different definitions,
making the thread an argument over semantics rather than something
operationally relevant.

> This thread is about how to do massive moves quickly, without
> renumbering and without damaging the routing tables.

The thread might have been.  Your post was not.

> Your other posts seemed to be more realistic.  Let's keep the eye on
> the operational ball.

Wish I could say the same.

Talking about how to move that many people that quickly isn't really
operational, since is not going to happen - even if it were
technically possible.  But at least it's close.  Arguing over
semantics is not.

--
TTFN,
patrick