Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 19:41:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Daniel Golding wrote:

> On 10/6/05 10:37 AM, "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:19 AM, tony sarendal wrote:
> >
> >> This is not the first and certainly not the last time we see this kind
> >> of event happen.
> >> Purchasing a single-homed service from a Tier-1 provider will
> >> guarantee that you
> >> are affected by this every time it happens.
> >
> > s/every time it happens/every time it happens to YOUR upstream
> >
> > People on Sprint, AT&T, GLBX, MCI, etc. were unaffected.  Only people
> > who single-home to L3 or Cogent have disconnectivity.
>
> Take-away: Do not single home. I'm shocked folks aren't figuring this out.
> If you are a webhoster or enterprise and your business model can not support
> multiple Internet pipes, than you have a suboptimal business model (to put
> it lightly)

disagree.

i know networks who multihome to avoid this kind of problem but introduce new
problems with greater risk because they are unable to run bgp properly (be it
from inadequate hardware, bad config, bad administration)

my rule would be if your provider can manage an autonomous system better than
you and multihoming isnt a requirement of your business then let them take on
the management

Steve