Cogent/Level 3 Contracts (was: Cogent/Level 3 depeering)

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 19:29:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> >>Rather than speculation, it would be helpful to refer to the actual
> >>contracts.  Please post the relevant sections, Mr Wilcox.
> >
> > the contract talks of on-net traffic, off-net traffic and excused outages
> >
> > excused outages includes that of third party network providers
> >
> > off-net traffic has a 99% SLA excluding excused outages.
> >
> Again, rather than speculation, it would be helpful to refer to the actual
> contracts.  Please post the relevant sections, not your summary of an index of
> definitions, Mr Wilcox.

that was it, i just shortened it

> For instance, I rather doubt that the contract language defines a decision of
> L(3) to terminate connectivity to a third party as an "excused outage".  But
> we won't know without the contract.
>
> Enlighten us.

"excused outages ... includes ... third party network providers"

it doesnt go anywhere talking about peerings or specifics of the connectivity,
but it seems to me that the ability to pass traffic to cogent falls right in
this get out clause as it is a third party

ianal but i'd push to break contract rather than sue Level3 as the latter seems
to be a very big gamble

Steve