Level 3's side of the story

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Sat Oct 8 19:10:03 UTC 2005

> Level 3 claims Cogent is sending far more traffic than Level3 to
> Cogent.
> Thus, Level3's viewpoint is that Cogent relies on them more than
> they rely
> on Cogent.  Thus, it no longer makes sense in their view point to
> maintain
> a free interconnection as there is no similar balance of traffic
> ratio.

This has  always bugged me.  Is a Cogent customer sending traffic to
a L3 customer or is a L3 customer requesting the traffic from a
Cogent customer?  Traffic is traffic,  L3 has eyeballs,  Cogent has
content producers.  Of course most of the traffic will flow from
Cogent -> L3.  L3 chose to sell to eyeball customers, Cogent chose to
sell to content producers.  If the L3 customers didn't create the
demand for the traffic then I'm sure Cogent wouldn't be sending them
the traffic.

IMHO the only valid complaint L3 has is wether Cogent is hot-potato
routing the traffic causing L3 to 'incur more cost'.  That should all
be spelled out in the peering agreement.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President