Cogent move without renumbering

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Sat Oct 8 12:40:56 UTC 2005

Randy Bush wrote:
> most isps that matter are actually at ixen, though they do not
> exchange large amounts of traffic there.  ixen do not much like the
> gigabits of traffic exchanged between the major isps, and the isps
> don't particularly wish to expose that traffic to ixen.  note that
> this is a somewhat us-centric view, but does extend somewhat.

Unless you have data that is not published, there is no factual
support for your initial statement.

In the context of the earlier discussion, "ISPs that matter" would be
those that have an AS, and are multi-homed, and have PI space.

As far as I can tell from the data, _most_ are _not_ at ixen.

And as I wrote, I argue that this is because of the lack of incentive.

The incentive that was proposed many years ago -- when we already saw
this coming and were small enough to do something about it -- was
assignment of IP addresses based on IXen.

That also had the distinct advantage that ARIN and others would be
small one person operations, instead of policy-laden multi-million
dollar boondoggles.  The funding would more appropriately go to Ixen,
which have an actual operational function.

> but what does this have to do with a collection of newcomers,
> amnesiacs, and pontificants [re]learning the facts of life about
> peering, depeering chicken, etc?  no answer required.

The facts of life are that because of short-sighted oligopolists that
don't follow good engineering practices, we're going to become
heavily regulated.  And we're not going to like it!

But that's another thread.  This one is devoted to rapidly moving
singly-homed Level(3) customers without renumbering and without
destroying the routing table.

--
William Allen Simpson