Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Sat Oct 8 03:22:32 UTC 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> dgolding at burtongroup.com (Daniel Golding) writes:
>
>> Take-away: Do not single home. I'm shocked folks aren't figuring
>> this out.
>> If you are a webhoster or enterprise and your business model can
>> not support
>> multiple Internet pipes, than you have a suboptimal business model
>> (to put
>> it lightly)
>
> so, CIDR was a bad idea, and we should push forward with one AS per
> end-site
> and a global routing table of 500 million entries?

Paul,

I think that's unnecessarily one dimensional.  The needs of business
to be connected in a reliable fashion are above and beyond being for
or against CIDR.  Rather, they are the requirements for the routing
architecture that the Internet has yet to fulfill.

Single homing is bad simply from a reliability standpoint, and the
only true technological impediment to everyone multi-homing is cost
and the routing architecture.  Consider the ability of the average
consumer to make use of WiFi to provide mutual backup connectivity to
his neighbors with alternate last mile providers.  As the cost goes
to zero, everyone will want to multi-home.

Regards,
Tony