Level 3's side of the story

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Fri Oct 7 23:13:45 UTC 2005

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-07-2005/0004164041&EDATE=
>
> "On October 6, Level 3, as it had repeatedly advised Cogent it would,
> terminated free traffic exchange with Cogent.  Because Internet users,
> apparently without notice from Cogent and through no fault of their own,

I don't remember seeing this public notice from Level(3) posted....
Wouldn't that be "without notice from Level(3)"?

> have been impacted, Level 3 has, effective immediately, re-established a
> free connection to Cogent.  In order to allow Internet users to make
> alternative arrangements,

Splendid, that gives the world sufficient time to accept Cogent's offer
of 1 year free service.

> we will maintain this connection until 6:00 a.m.
> ET, November 9, 2005.  The effectiveness of this arrangement of course
> depends on Cogent's willingness to maintain their side of the traffic
> exchange.

At which time Level(3) will have had time to purchase transit, as it
will be a "tier 2" hoisted on its own petard.

--
William Allen Simpson