Cogent move without renumbering

Albert Meyer from_nanog at corenap.com
Fri Oct 7 19:36:05 UTC 2005

William Allen Simpson wrote:

> However, we should assist everybody without an AS and at least /24 to
> move to Cogent without renumbering.  That means the blocks should be
> reassigned.  That requires registry assistance.

If a single-homed network moves from L3 to Cogent, how would they benefit? Would
they not still be cut off from a significant percentage of the Internet?

Is it reasonable to think that numerous /24's from L3's IP space could be
reassigned elsewhere without causing significant trouble for L3 and others? Even
if it could work, what would be the justification for taking L3's property?