Cogent move without renumbering

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Fri Oct 7 18:10:32 UTC 2005

William Allen Simpson wrote:
> However, we should assist everybody without an AS and at least /24 to
> move to Cogent without renumbering.  That means the blocks should be
> reassigned.  That requires registry assistance.
>
> To avoid routing table explosion, we probably need to identify adjacent
> blocks and encourage them to move to Cogent, too.

It seems to me that the recent discussion between Leo Bicknell and Lamar
Owen is relevant.  A network partition affecting hundreds of thousands
(millions according to the Boston Globe article) is closely akin to a
natural disaster.  In this case, an _unnatural_ disaster.

I remember presenting a paper at IETF over a decade ago about assigning
IP addresses to exchanges instead of carriers.  That would allow rapid
failover, and promote competition.

Therefore, I propose that we identify those ISPs moving from Level3 to
Cogent that are also connected to an *IX.  The IP block should be
reassigned by the registry to the IX.

We should encourage everybody else moving that requires a circuit change
to connect to an IX where Cogent is present.

That should help routing tables immensely!

--
William Allen Simpson