Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Oct 7 03:42:50 UTC 2005

On Oct 6, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Niels Bakker wrote:

> * deepak at ai.net (Deepak Jain) [Fri 07 Oct 2005, 02:29 CEST]:
>
>> I think Cogent's offer of providing free transit to all single
>> homed Level3 customers is particularly clever and being
>> underpublicized. I wouldn't be surprised if Cogent is in more
>> buildings than Level3 with a high degree of overlap with the
>> entire Level3 lit network. That could be a very nasty "competitor"
>> to force into your customers awareness by your own action (or
>> inaction) -- especially if your customer is single homed to you
>> and realizes now that isn't enough of the "Internet" for them.
>
> I guess a significant part of the single-homed networks behind Level
> (3) would be in PA space owned by them, and thus will find the
> initial step towards multihoming very hard to take (renumbering
> into PI or their own PA space).

Renumber why?

If they have a /24, all they need is an AS & a BGP capable router.

If they don't have a /24 or larger, then they will either need to
renumber, or NAT, or some other fun magic.  But the upper bound on
the difficult of such exercises is exactly equal to changing providers.

--
TTFN,
patrick