Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri Oct 7 00:48:53 UTC 2005

> I guess a significant part of the single-homed networks behind Level(3)
> would be in PA space owned by them, and thus will find the initial step
> towards multihoming very hard to take (renumbering into PI or their own
> PA space).

Its absolutely a high bar. It is no higher than changing providers which
I would probably advocate to anyone who asked my opinion who was single
homed. However the "to-whom" question looms larger and larger. The list
of transit-free providers that have not forcibly depeered another
network is growing short indeed.

If Cogent were looking for an opportunity as a solution provider, they
could provide PBR route-maps and the following suggestions:

If you are an enterprise customer, many services like your main DNS
servers, web server, etc. could gain IPs in both spaces and you could
set up a proxy that can tell one space from another and reach both spaces.

This would solve many of the access provider and webhosting provider
problems out there. The ones that would stay broken are specialized
applications and websites that are highly sensitive to proxies, etc.

But as as a community, I think NANOGers would agree... something that
smells like connectivity is still better than none.

Deepak