Cogent/Level 3 depeering

tony sarendal dualcyclone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:20:55 UTC 2005

On 06/10/05, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:19 AM, tony sarendal wrote:
>
> > This is not the first and certainly not the last time we see this kind
> > of event happen.
> > Purchasing a single-homed service from a Tier-1 provider will
> > guarantee that you
> > are affected by this every time it happens.
>
> s/every time it happens/every time it happens to YOUR upstream
>
> People on Sprint, AT&T, GLBX, MCI, etc. were unaffected.  Only people
> who single-home to L3 or Cogent have disconnectivity.
>

> > Now, is being a tier-1 now a good or bad sales argument when selling
> > internet access ?
>
> It's still a good argument, because Marketing != Reality. :)

Patrick, it happens to every PA customer who buys his service from one
of the Tier-1 providers active in the de-peering.

If a PA customer buys his service from a non-tier1 this will most
likely not happen, unless that provider has bought transit in a very
unwise way.

The entire point is that it's not always good to be too close to tier-1 space.

PS. sorry about the double-post Patrick.