Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 6 11:33:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, tony sarendal wrote:

> Is being a tier-1 now a good or bad sales argument when selling internet
> access ?

Personally I think it's good strategy to multihome with one "tier-1" and
one not so "tier-1". The ones further down the foodchain are more likely
to be "peering whores" and therefore provide better connectivty to others
like them.

It's more likely someone skimps on connections they pay per meg for than
peering links, therefore it's in my expereience more likely to be
uncongested on peering links than transit links.

So my answer to your question is "it depends". Using Tier-1:s as your only
uplinks means everybody else is paying per meg to send traffic to you, is
that what you want?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se