Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed Oct 5 21:59:22 UTC 2005

At 03:37 PM 10/5/2005, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Matthew Crocker wrote:
>>This comes down to a little more than just "depeering" -- at least in the
>>BGP sense.  There's active route filtering going on as well if connectivity
>>is dead; after all, I can bet the house that at least one of Cogent's
>>network edge peers has connectivity to Level3, and vice versa.
>
>People who are single-homed to either Cogent or Level(3) are the
>ones who are most likely to feel the pain of broken connectivity.

And any ISPs who buy wholesale dialup services from either Level(3)
or Cogent. Both of them offer such services, and many ISPs use these
wholesale outfits rather than building their own infrastructure in every city.

The dialup case results in a very large number of users of a large
number of ISPs being single-homed to one or the other of these
outfits. Keep that in mind too when you next sign a contract for
wholesale dialup service.