Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Oct 5 19:51:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:50:52AM -0400, Matthew Crocker wrote:

> I opened a billing/support ticket with Cogent.   I'm not planning on
> paying my bill or continuing the contract if they cannot provide full
> BGP tables and full Internet transport (barring outages).   Luckily I
> have 2 other providers so I can still reach Level 3.

Every depeering, someone pops up to talk about how much of a stink they
are going to make and how many service credits they are going to ask for
because they aren't getting a full table, even though they are multihomed
and aren't relying on those routes to maintain reachability, because
"transit means you are supposed to provide a view of the entire Internet".

Not that I don't sympathize, but let me save you some time and energy by
assuring you right now that Cogent doesn't give a flying crap about your
whining on this issue, and anyone in "customer service" who says they do
is being paid to nod and smile until 5pm. You will never see a dime in
credits, so if you're actually going after the money and not just
complaining for the sake of complaining or to try and encourage them to
cave, save your energy for an issue you can actually win. :)

Understand that both sides believe they are in the right in their own
heads, or it would never have come this far in the first place. You can
threaten them with cancellation of future business (or an illegal breach
of contract and best of luck in collections I guess), but there is no way
you're going to see a dime or make them stop under the terms of your
contract.