Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at wvi.com
Wed Oct 5 19:22:25 UTC 2005

John Payne wrote:

> If nobody filtered BGP at all (in or out), you would have the state you
> are expecting.  However, you would have both a capacity problem, and an
> economic failure, as you may well end up with cogent trying to send all
> (much) of it's level3 destined traffic through a customer's connection
> with much smaller pipes... or overloading it's connectivity to one of
> its other peers.  The economic failure comes because now you're
> expecting a third party to transit packets between cogent and level3
> without being paid for it (and some of those connections are metered).

Okay. I always figured that the difference between peering and transit
was that you paid for one and not the other. I had no idea that when you
bought transit from someone, you weren't automatically buying transit to
_all_ of that providers other connections.

Interesting. Balkanization of the Internet anyone? As one other
commenter hinted at, it does sound like a recipe for encouraging
multi-homing, even at the lowest levels. How many ASN's can the system
handle currently?

--
Jeff Shultz