Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Oct 5 19:02:41 UTC 2005

On Oct 5, 2005, at 2:47 PM, Douglas Dever wrote:

> On 10/5/05, Matthew Crocker <matthew at crocker.com> wrote:
>

>> They did, and I'm not down.  I see Level 3 via Sprint and GNAPs/CENT
>> just fine.  I didn't lose any connectivity to Level 3 at all.  Bits
>> moving down different pipes, not a big deal to me technically.   The
>>

> So, where's the problem, exactly?

Um,  I only have 2 routes to Level 3 when I should have 3 routes and
I'm paying for 3 routes...

>> fact remains that Cogent is not providing the service I'm paying them
>> for and they need to get it fixed.
>>

> Really?  As you already pointed out, your packets are reaching their
> destination.  So, they don't "need" to get anything "fixed."

Ok,  I *pay* Cogent for 'Direct Internet Access' which is IP Transit
service.  I *cannot* get to part of the internet via Cogent right
now.  I also *pay* Sprint and GNAPS for 'Direct Internet Access' and
I can get to all parts of the internet via their networks.   I *used*
to be triple redundant to *all* of the Internet but now I only have
*two* connections to Level 3.   My packets are reaching their
destination because I'm smart enough to be multi-homed,  that doesn't
remove the responsibility of Cogent to do what I *pay them to do*.
Cogent is *not* providing complete Internet access, I really don't
care who's fault it is.

> What utter nonsense...
>
> *shakes head and walks away*

Is it really that hard to understand?

As a paying Cogent customer I expect to be able to get to the
Internet through them.  Isn't that the business they are in?

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President