Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Oct 5 17:49:23 UTC 2005

> So perhaps the question you should be asking is:  Why didn't routes
> for
> these networks fall over to the other upstream peers which *are*
> capable of
> moving the packets?  Surely MCI, AT&T, Sprint, and others would
> carry the
> packets to the right place.  I can see the paths right here....

They did, and I'm not down.  I see Level 3 via Sprint and GNAPs/CENT
just fine.  I didn't lose any connectivity to Level 3 at all.  Bits
moving down different pipes, not a big deal to me technically.   The
fact remains that Cogent is not providing the service I'm paying them
for and they need to get it fixed.  If that means  picking up transit
from another Tier 1 to get to Level 3 or making amends with Level 3
to get the existing peering working again.  It doesn't matter to me,
I just don't like paying for stuff I'm not getting. In the grand
scheme of things I'm paying  A LOT for my Cogent bandwidth (it
started off as Verio remember).

> What nature of clause?  I consider deliberately filtering prefixes
> or origin
> ASs to be a violation of common backbone BGP use.
>
> Too bad there aren't Equal Access laws for tier1s.  <slyly evil grin>

Ewww,  I'll put up with these occasional pissing matches and build
around them to avoid any government regulations.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President