TLD anycast clouds?

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Oct 5 16:00:09 UTC 2005

On 5-Oct-2005, at 11:33, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Joe Abley:
>
>> On 5-Oct-2005, at 05:53, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>>
>>> 2002::/16 AS3344 - 6to4 relay anycast - no longer done, right??
>>
>> 6to4 is alive and well.
>
> For some values of.  I believe the bit.nl 6to4 gateway still generates
> IPv4 packets with non-routable source addresses, which are uRPFed by
> some operators.

Ah yes, that's true, and we've been bitten by that.

At ISC, we have an unusually large population of external users using
6to4 to reach us, since most things we host are available on v6, and
also because most things we host are of interest to developers who
probably have more energy for turning things like 6to4 on than most
people.

Our 6to4-using client population became much more happy once I
deployed a 6to4 relay router inside AS3557, and had people use it
directly instead of the anycast 6to4 relay router address. I don't
think I've had a single complaint reported since I turned that on, in
fact.

Advertising 2002::/16 and 192.88.99.0/24 for global transit from AS
3557 is on the to-do list. No ETA for that right now, however.

Joe