[Misc][Rant] Internet router (straying slightly OT)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Oct 3 14:27:37 UTC 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

>>> necromancy will be severely punished.
>>
>> many hand-on routing workshops start with rip, though with the
>> warning "you will now learn why not to use rip."  it makes it
>> easy to teach poison reverse, ... in a relatively small setting.
>
> And it's much easier to understand, at least for a beginner.

I've been teaching routing protocols for a long time, and I almost
always start with RIP for people who don't know what "protocol" means.

If you start with OSPF or IS-IS, you invariably get caught up in
things like "what is 'link state'?" or "why does Shortest Path First
take that path when it's 'longer'?"  Plus any "Internet" engineer
needs to know about things like hop-count before they can truly
understand BGP.

Also, I usually include reasons to use RIP in a production network.
They are few and far between, but RIP has properties which could be
considered "features" when compared to other protocols.

--
TTFN,
patrick