First step of network optimization

Joe Shen joe_hznm at yahoo.com.sg
Sun Oct 2 17:32:58 UTC 2005

Thanks for the response.

> You want to optimize for the lowest monetary cost
> network that still allows you
> to meet all the SLA's you've negotiated.  And this
> depends on what you
> negotiated - for instance, if the SLA specifies 3
> 9's of reliability, spending
> money to build a 4 9's network is cutting into your
> profits.  Of course, if the
> SLA's are biased towards latency or bandwidth,
> you'll have to consider those.

There is always someone claims his network could reach
availability 99.9% or so, but I don't understand how a
network availability should be measured or figured
out. Is there any paper on this?

Focusing on SLA of a network, ISP network or PoP site
should not carry only one type of business traffic (
e.g. broadband access, MPLS-VPN, L2 VPN etc.), if we
consider it simply by taking network as a single
system optimization will surely be of no usage.

Looking at PoP site , is there any recommendation on
its design? a layer-2 access model is better than
router based system?

Joe