BGP Security and PKI Hierarchies

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 14:30:25 UTC 2005

--- Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 10:21:53AM +0000,
> Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
> >
> > It's hard to imagine an organization who can
> afford to run
> > a network using BGP to announce a class C block
> and not
> > be able to afford $1250 per year.
>
> Sounds like a failure of imagination to me.

The statement Michael forgot was "using PI space" -
lots of "Bob's bait & tackle shop" types of operations
use BGP to announce a /24 to two providers.  I have
yet to find an organization which is concerned about
getting new PI space which would have a problem paying
that amount per year.  They may exist, but they're
certainly not the majority of the groups looking for
PI IP.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com