trollage (Re: Akamai server reliability)

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Nov 29 04:21:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Pete Templin wrote:
> And hopefully they'll (someday) send servers in my direction - is their
> "minimum criteria" creeping upwards at the same rate as overall Internet
> traffic did in the late 90s?

The impression I got was they originally scattered their machines to
everyone who had a network with a growth plan and bought them a beer. Some
people even got/get paid to host them.

After the .com crash they started being a bit more careful about who they
gave them to and doing a bit more analysis as whether a new site was worth
the trouble.

One way to get a cluster might be to suggest that your will make better
use of it than a nearby company with a cluster that is much smaller than
you. I have heard of people trying this in Australia, no idea how well it
works.

I know people who were doing under 10Mb/s via their clusters, but they are
in Aus/NZ so the threshold might be higher elsewhere.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.