trollage (Re: Akamai server reliability)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Nov 28 20:47:37 UTC 2005

>> Never underestimate the amount of airbills that can be paid with KISS
>> strategy.
>

> Especially since Akamai doesn't pay for truck rolls and man hours to get
> the replacements done onsite.

I'm sorry, isn't that exactly what an airbill *is* paying for -- to get
the equipment on site?

The man hours (really, we are talking about less than a single hour to
replace a server including all the mounting and repacking). The one man
hour that they need (no more than 6 a year by the look of it) should
offset the value the ISP is getting from not buying bandwidth to get to
the content and for the improved performance they get.

If that model doesn't work for the ISP in question, they should ask
Akamai to pull their gear.

DJ