What do we mean when we say "competition?"

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Nov 27 00:53:32 UTC 2005

Henry Yen <henry at AegisInfoSys.com> writes:

> In (at least) the Long Island, NY market, Verizon FTTH/FIOS installers
> physically cut and decommission the copper upon fiber install.
> Bye-bye DSL competition.  Since they won't bring back the copper
> even you don't like the FIOS service, it's permanent.  ISTR that
> the fiber doesn't carry the same restrictions on Verizon as copper
> did, which is a big incentive (for them) to roll out FIOS that way.

My understanding is that there is a fairly small number of pots
circuits (2?) that they can bring in over the B-PON, and that moreover
ISDN BRI and hicap (eg. repeatered or HDSL DS1 service) are entirely
incompatible.

In Virginia, there's anecdotal evidence that suggests that they'll
leave the copper upon request, and won't even try to remove it if you
still need it for service.

Guess you know what to do.  :)

                                        ---rob