BGP Security and PKI Hierarchies

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Nov 26 07:40:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:26:56 +0100, Florian Weimer said:

> Wouldn't this provide significant economic incentive towards gaining a
> high value on this metric?  I'm not sure if this a good idea because
> even if you call it a "trust metric", it does not have to correspond
> to ethical behavior.

Wrong concept of "trust".  There exist vendors that I *expect* will
treat me in an unethical way, while being totally open as to their identity.

Think of it as going to buy a used car, and *knowing* that there are shady
and unethical dealings going on, but knowing to a high degree of certainty
that the salesmen perpetrating the fraud are in fact authorized and are acting
on behalf of the dealership, and aren't somebody in a cheap suit that came in
off the street and borrowed the office while the real salesman was out for a
few days for a family emergency....

(And yes, there actually *was* somebody who pulled that fraud a while back nearby
here - I wish I could find a citation...)