BGP Security and PKI Hierarchies (was: Re: Wifi Security)

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 24 03:30:46 UTC 2005

In message <17285.11841.343440.262334 at roam.psg.com>, Randy Bush writes:

>>> if it is not common across registries, and if my certs do not
>>> work across registries, then something is very very broken,
>>> and a major pita at the isps', aka your members', expense.
>>
>> If you want to see member-certificates which gate access to
>> RIR/NIR specific services common across all registries, I think
>> you want to get that onto an RIR meeting agenda Randy.
>
>i have been whining about the problems of cross-registry operation
>for over a decade, formally, informally, presos, ...  i have had it
>on every rir's meeting agenda (except lacnic) for many years.  do i
>need to iterate for every ort of service the registries provide?
>
>we are the registries' customers.  many of us, especially the ones
>who pay the registries the most, have to deal with multiple
>registries.  can the registries please get over the inter-registry
>rivalry and make life more reasonable for us, the paying members?
>
>> We currently have no cross-certification activity in member identity.
>
>where as before i was merely inclined, this has just made me an
>extremely strong proponent of the isp web of trust identity model.

I think the problem is both easier and harder than painted.  First, you
need a business agreement that you will accept each others' assertions
of member identities, aka certificates.  Second, you have to agree on a
common format and meaning for certain fields, including thinks like
CRLs.

I'm not sure if I think the technical specs or the business agreement
are the hard parts...