Wifi Security

Christian Kuhtz christian at kuhtz.com
Mon Nov 21 16:19:16 UTC 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Ross Hosman wrote:

> So my question is pretty simple. You have all these major companies
> such as google/earthlink/sprint/etc. building wifi networks. Lets
> say I want to collect peoples information so I setup an AP with the
> same ssid as google’s ap so people connect to it and I log all of
> their traffic. Most people won’t check beyond the ssid to look at
> the mac address but even that could be spoofed. Is there anyway to
> verify a certain ap beyond mac/ssid, will there be in the future?
> How do these companies plan to mitigate this threat or are they
> just going to hope consumers are smart enough to figure it out?

You're making an assumption that all these services will work like
any old AP or traditional WISP, perhaps one with open SSID, which may
or may not be true.

As far as open SSID is concerned, as you probably already know,
there's nothing much other than VPN client from a machine you trust
to some place you trust that is going to help you.  Such is the
nature of the beast.

As far as other abuse prevention voodoo and other operation and
implementation specifics, I somehow doubt anyone will spill their
guts here.  One path to find a few of the answers is to discuss this
very subject with the equipment vendors in this space, which
shouldn't infringe on any proprietary information of the operators.

This is still a very much evolving technology as well, so, expect
fairly rapid developments to address needs as they emerge.

Best regards,
Christian