Wifi Security

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Nov 21 14:47:21 UTC 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Ross Hosman wrote:

> So my question is pretty simple. You have all these major companies
> such
> as google/earthlink/sprint/etc. building wifi networks. Lets say I
> want
> to collect peoples information so I setup an AP with the same ssid as
> google's ap so people connect to it and I log all of their traffic.
> Most
> people won't check beyond the ssid to look at the mac address but even
> that could be spoofed. Is there anyway to verify a certain ap beyond
> mac/ssid, will there be in the future? How do these companies plan to
> mitigate this threat or are they just going to hope consumers are
> smart
> enough to figure it out?

Why would you even need to set up an AP?  Why not just sit and sniff
traffic?  Gets you the _exact_ same information.

And why worry about Google, etc., when Starbucks and airports have
been doing this for _years_?

Lastly, most consumers are smart enough to know to use encryption
(the little pad-lock in their browser).  Some aren't.  Changing the
WiFi architecture is not going to save those who aren't.

--
TTFN,
patrick