What do we mean when we say "competition?"

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu Nov 17 13:09:00 UTC 2005

> Windows 98 price (in 1997) -> $209
> Office 97 Standard (in 1997) -> $689
> Windows XP price (now) -> $199.
> Office 2003 (now) -> $399.

Verizon Retail 768k DSL,  $14.95/month (includes everything)
Verizon Wholesale 768k DSL, $13.95/month + DS3 ATM + IP + support + e-
mail
Verizon CLEC 2W DSL Conditioned loop,   $15-18/month + COLO + DSLAM +
Backhaul + IP + Support + e-mail

You can't say that Verizon isn't selling DSL below their cost and
using monopoly POTS revenue to subsidize the extermination of
competition in the DSL market.

Now, granted the CLEC can use the 2W DSL conditioned loop to run ADSL2
+ and POTS and sell for more  $$.  Unfortunately in todays era of
Wal*mart shoppers people buy on price alone.

> The problems most people have with microsoft's
> monopoly status have nothing whatsoever to do with the
> price of the software which forms the basis of their
> monopoly (windows + office), but rather their
> willingness to use the profits from them to subsidize
> other losing ventures to drive out other competitors.

Exactly,

Verizon is using the profits from the monopoly to subsidize losing
ventures

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker